The FBI has released information about criminal uses of firearms in assaults on police officers.
Some interesting bits:
- Most guns are stolen. None of the criminals in the sample group acquired their guns from gun shows.
- The availability of a gun was the primary factor, only one member of the sample group had a “weapon of choice”.
- The vast majority of guns found were handguns.
- Most criminals used “point shooting” techniques rather than using sights.
- Holsters were almost never used, with guns instead being stuck in waistbands.
- 40% of the sample group had military firearm training. Many of them practiced frequently (though not at formal ranges).